[phenixbb] model vs Wilson b-factor

Engin Ozkan eozkan at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 21 11:32:51 PDT 2010

  Dear Gino,

*Sometimes* ignoring the strict B-factor police is a valid option. Much
of the time, it comes to building in weaker density vs not building, and
it is a subjective call. I bet if you removed all weaker-density loops,
your average B-factor would decrease, but you probably would have gained
nothing, and not improved your model at all (you would probably make it
worse, actually).

And as Pavel pointed out, at >3 Angstroms, Wilson values are not so
accurate.

I would also look at phenix.polygon results.

By the way, I have a related question for Pavel. When you guys were
culling the PDB for structures, was there any attention paid to correct
the ones that have residual B-factors in the PDB file? (Urzhumtseva,
2009 is not clear on this) I have found that a structure which was
refined by refmac and deposited in 2005, where the residual B-factors
are in the B column. This used to be a fairly common practice, before it
was (thankfully!) settled by PDB that the B column should contain the
full B factor (the way Phenix outputs by default). I still sometimes
read articles where people report an average B-factor of 8 for a 2.2
Angstrom structure, and I know what is going on!

I am asking this, because a few structures I solved recently to ~2
Angstrom resolution were all closer to the upper range of observed
structures according to POLYGON, so I thought this could possibly be one
reason.

Engin