[phenixbb] negative density for heavy atom?

Sue Roberts suer at email.arizona.edu
Thu Apr 22 12:23:49 PDT 2010

I don't think changing the scattering factors on W is important or even the right thing to do - lower occupancy is a more likely explanation for a large positive peak.

The entire WO4 ion has a -2 charge.  If it is modelled as a tungsten atom and four oxygen atoms, you are already missing two electrons on the ion (is the resolution such that the W and O atoms are resolved?).  If you change to W+6 scattering factors, you need to use O-2 scattering factors also to get the charge on the ion correct.

Sue