[phenixbb] syntax for Averaged Kicked maps and maps.param

Kyle Dolan ktd at uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 6 14:08:21 PDT 2010

Hi Pavel,

I am also trying to make kicked maps for the first time in order to improve
density for a terminal helix and short loop that have been giving me
problems in model building for an MR structure. On a similar note to Yarrow,
I tried using his syntax in a maps.params file, like this:

map {
    mtz_label_amplitudes = 2FOFCWT_kick
    mtz_label_phases = PH2FOFCWT_kick
    likelihood_weighted = True
    obs_factor = 2
    calc_factor = 1
    kicked = True
    fill_missing_f_obs_with_weighted_f_model = False
  }
  map {
    mtz_label_amplitudes = "FOFCWT_kicked"
    mtz_label_phases = "PHFOFCWT_kicked"
    likelihood_weighted = True
    obs_factor = 1
    calc_factor = 1
    kicked = True
    fill_missing_f_obs_with_weighted_f_model = False
  }

But when I ran phenix.maps I received this message:

Unused parameter definitions:
  maps.map.mtz_label_amplitudes (file "maps.params", line 29)
  maps.map.mtz_label_phases (file "maps.params", line 30)
  maps.map.likelihood_weighted (file "maps.params", line 31)
  maps.map.obs_factor (file "maps.params", line 32)
  maps.map.calc_factor (file "maps.params", line 33)
  maps.map.fill_missing_f_obs_with_weighted_f_model (file "maps.params",
line 35)
  maps.map.mtz_label_amplitudes (file "maps.params", line 38)
  maps.map.mtz_label_phases (file "maps.params", line 39)
  maps.map.likelihood_weighted (file "maps.params", line 40)
  maps.map.obs_factor (file "maps.params", line 41)
  maps.map.calc_factor (file "maps.params", line 42)
  maps.map.fill_missing_f_obs_with_weighted_f_model (file "maps.params",
line 44)

Sorry: Unused parameter definitions.

Next I tried using this in my .params file for phenix.refine:

refinement.electron_density_maps {
    map {
      map_type = "2mFo-DFc"
      format = *xplor ccp4
      file_name = None
      kicked = True
      fill_missing_f_obs = False
      grid_resolution_factor = 0.25
      scale = *sigma volume
      region = *selection cell
      atom_selection = None
      atom_selection_buffer = 3
      acentrics_scale = 2
      centrics_pre_scale = 1
      sharpening = False
      sharpening_b_factor = None
    }
    map {
      map_type = "mFo-DFc"
      format = *xplor ccp4
      file_name = None
      kicked = True
      fill_missing_f_obs = False
      grid_resolution_factor = 0.25
      scale = *sigma volume
      region = *selection cell
      atom_selection = None
      atom_selection_buffer = 3
      acentrics_scale = 2
      centrics_pre_scale = 1
      sharpening = False
      sharpening_b_factor = None
    }

When I opened the map_coeffs.mtz output file, it contains these columns
2FOFCWT_no_fill
PH2FOFCWT_no_fill
FOFCWT
PHFOFCWT

Are these the coefficients for the kicked maps?

Cheers,
Kyle

Kyle T. Dolan
The University of Chicago