[phenixbb] too many outliers

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Fri Aug 13 08:37:57 PDT 2010

  Hi Intekhab,

are all these outliers coming from that poorly modeled loop? If not (if
yes - try to improve the loop first), here are a quick things to try:

1) try adding H and refine with optimize_wxc=true;
2) do "1)" after some geometry regularization;
3) try using secondary structure restraints;
4) try without SA;
5) fix all outliers manually in Coot and re-run the refinement. What
happens then?
6) try manually some stricter weights (more impact on restraints) by
using a number of smaller values of wxc_scale.

If nothing helps you can send me the data and model and I will have a
look. Of course I don't have a magic stick and can't promise to fix
it... Just in case I may spot something that may help...

Remember, a ramachandran or rotamer outlier is not necessarily wrong
(example on page #22,25 here:
http://www.phenix-online.org/presentations/latest/pavel_validation.pdf)
but each of them must be explained and enough of evidence has to be
provided to support your explanations (I'm speaking of final structure
at publication stage).

Pavel.