[phenixbb] Phaser SAD module - resolution question

Randy Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 13 13:30:42 PDT 2010

In the MR+SAD procedure I usually just give all the data to the full resolution.  If there's too little anomalous signal, Phaser will tend to give you very few (or maybe even no) sites.  However, in some pathological data sets Phaser can end up fitting noise, so it's always a good idea to look at the sites in the context of a solvent-flattened map derived from the phases, to see if they look like what you expect (e.g. sites near the protein surface for a heavy-atom soak).

Of course, it never hurts to try something different and see what happens, so it would be good to try a control experiment varying the resolution as you propose.

Regards,

Randy Read