[phenixbb] Using Reference Structure in Phenix Refine

Jeff Headd jjheadd at lbl.gov
Sat Dec 4 22:20:07 PST 2010

Hi John,

For your situation you will only need one reference chain in your
reference PDB, and then you will need to add selection statements to
your parameter file to tell Phenix how you want to proceed.  In the
case where your working model has four chains (A, B, C, D) and your
reference model has only chain A, the selections would look like this:

refinement.reference_model.reference_group {
     reference = chain A
     selection = chain A
   }
refinement.reference_model.reference_group {
     reference = chain A
     selection = chain B
   }
refinement.reference_model.reference_group {
     reference = chain A
     selection = chain C
   }
refinement.reference_model.reference_group {
     reference = chain A
     selection = chain D
   }

If you look at the documentation for a more recent installer, there is
more comprehensive documentation for adding a reference model that
will be included in the next release.  You can find a copy here:

http://www.phenix-online.org/version_docs/dev-598/refinement.htm#anch28

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Thanks,
Jeff