[phenixbb] Custom ligand - confirming the correct scattering definition

George Phillips phillips at biochem.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 15 15:47:09 PST 2010

Pavel,
I am following up on this question of the oxidation state of metals. It is important to deal with this properly to get the most out of the data and to able to show difference maps in papers that make sense.
Where are the scattering factors stored (it1992's for example)?  One could hack an oxidation state in for the standard numbers to get it right (ugly but effective). Alternatively, maybe the scattering factor tables and element id's could be expanded?  Is this all hard coded or are there libraries or tables that are parsed?
THanks for any comments, as always.
George N. Phillips, Jr., Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry and of
     Computer Sciences
University of Wisconsin-Madison
433 Babcock Dr. Madison, Wi 53706
Phone/FAX (608) 263-6140

Hi Andy,

currently phenix.refine will not make difference between say "Fe" and
"Fe+2". So if you see some artifacts at mFo-DFc map around your Fe, that
might be explained by not taking "+2" into account. Refining occupancy
of Fe would fix the map appearance (most likely), but I would not do
that, since it will rather hide the problem than properly address it
(and of course it  would be misleading too).

Regarding "n_gaussian table": it is just a dynamic approximation to the
standard scattering factor table (mostly done to optimize runtime; the
accuracy is not compromised). For more details see:

Grosse-Kunstleve RW, Sauter NK, Adams PD:
cctbx news
Newsletter of the IUCr Commission on Crystallographic Computing 2004,
3:22-31.

Pavel.