[phenixbb] riding model and deposition

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Thu Feb 18 09:36:00 PST 2010

Hi Christina,

if H atoms were used in refinement then they should not be removed from
the model you are going to PDB deposit. Post-refinement model
manipulation is bad. This makes the reported statistics irreproducible.
The R-factor computed for a model with and without H atoms is different.

Different programs use different libraries of ideal X-H parameters (some
put them at longer "neutron" X-H distances, and some place at the
position where the electron cloud is expected - shorter X-H distance).
The B-factors of H atoms can be inherited from atoms they are bonded to
or can be multiplied by a scale from 1 to 1.5. There is a class of X-H
geometries where this position of H atoms is not unique: for example,
C-O-H group in Tyrosine residue, where H can rotate around C-O axis.
Some programs optimize the position of H atom to accommodate potential
hydrogen bond and some doesn't.

Destroying is always easier than building: removing existing hydrogens
is a matter of running one command :

phenix.reduce -trim model.pdb > model_noH.pdb

and takes 1 or 2 seconds. However, to build the H atoms back the *exact*
same way they were before is not that straightforward.

It's just counterintuitive why you need to manipulate the refined model
for which you have obtained all the statistics numbers? If you remove
hydrogen atoms then you need to update the statistics. By stripping off
H atoms you will get somewhat smaller file, but does the file size
matter these days?

Pavel.