[phenixbb] Where is phenix.refine finding starting r values?

Bart, Aaron G dharma at ku.edu
Mon Jan 18 18:47:55 PST 2010

Greetings,

I am fairly new to crystallography, and have just started to use Phenix for structural refinement. I am currently working on a 2.8A structure that was run through multiple rounds of rigid body refinement via Refmac and manual revision using Coot. I eventually got stuck where large portions of my molecule had very poor density and the rwork and rfree stayed around 0.3. I then performed a TLS refinement which resulted in better density, and tried running it through phenix.refine with default ADP settings, as well as simulated annealing. It worked beautifully, however when I looked at the log file for the refinement, phenix was reporting a starting rwork and rfree that represented my first stage of refinement in refmac, 0.38/0.44. My question is, is phenix somehow neglecting the refinement that was done in refmac?

Regards
-Aaron