[phenixbb] How do different sections of TLS groups affect refinment

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Wed Jan 20 14:25:44 PST 2010

Hi Aaron,

TLSMD server suggests you possible optimal selections for TLS groups. If
I remember correctly, it gives you a list of 20 options or so.

It's up to you which one to choose. Usually you look at the graphic
"residual vs number_of_tls_groups" and see at which point the curve
stops dropping sharply. Also, you need to use common sense too, say, I
wouldn't choose a set of TLS groups that brakes a helix into multiple
parts. I'm actually puzzled about how that happened. I think it is a
good question for Ethan Merritt, the author of TLSMD tool.

Also, you may want to try a few possible TLS separations and see which
one gives your better refinement results.

Pavel.