[phenixbb] NAG-NAG description

Engin Ozkan eozkan at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 2 12:47:30 PDT 2010

  If you look up glycobiology textbooks, you can find a general scheme
for insects. Check out the free book Essentials in Glycobiology on
NCBI's Books collection. I am sure you can also find more on
lepidopteran cell lines (such as Sf9, High five).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/br.fcgi?book=glyco2&part=ch19&rendertype=figure&id=ch19.f2
shows you how it is in insects and other main taxa.

To summarize, for insects in general, I would expect this:

  ASN-(beta1)NAG-(beta1,4)NAG-(beta1,4)BMA-(alpha1,3)MAN
(alpha1,3)FUC (alpha1,6)FUC         (alpha1,6)MAN

Hope this helps a little. Most people are surprised to find the fucose
on the C3 of the first NAG, because that does not appear in mammals, but
can in insects. I am sure experts can chime in more.

Engin