[phenixbb] phaser spacegroup within phenix

Randy J. Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 16 09:39:01 PDT 2010

Hi John,

Around the time of Phenix version 1.6.1, I think the default in the GUI was
accidentally set to try all plausible space groups. As Nat said, in the
current 1.6.2 release the default is to try both hands (for the few
enantiomorphic space groups where you don't know which you have from the
symmetry and systematic absences).

We've seen a few other cases of the problem you ran into. I'm guessing that
there's pseudosymmetry, where the true space group is P21 but two molecules
are related by a 2-fold parallel to the 2(1)? In that case, there would be
some P2 pseudosymmetry. In such cases, Phaser can make a decision about
space group prematurely. One of our plans is to change things so that the
decision about space group doesn't have to be made with the first molecule
but can be deferred until the difference in scores is unambiguous.

Regards,

Randy