[phenixbb] OS X PowerPC builds

Nathaniel Echols NEchols at lbl.gov
Wed Mar 24 09:55:09 PDT 2010

On Mar 24, 2010, at 8:55 AM, Ben Eisenbraun wrote:
> I'm updating our nightly build, and I noticed that there are no current
> builds for OS X PowerPC.
>
> Are the PowerPC builds going to be discontinued?  I searched the mailing
> list, but I didn't see an announcement.

We were sort of hoping no one would notice - the download and bug report statistics indicate that very few people are still using the PPC installer.  The problem is actually that our lone G5 machine is dying a slow, lingering death, and we can't rely on it continuing to work indefinitely.  That said, my guess is that the source installer should still compile on PPC, since we only stopped a couple of weeks ago and the compilers are mostly similar.  (The exception is Fortran, for which you still need to use g77/gfortran - but not for much longer, I hope.)  If you're desperate, I may be able to build a PPC binary installer of the next official release.

For the record, Linux 2.4 support has also been discontinued - in this case, because the C++ compilers are hopelessly obsolete and break on standard code.

By the way, I would recommend waiting to upgrade anything, because a new official release is imminent anyway.

-Nat

Nathaniel Echols
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
510-486-5136