[phenixbb] Problem with Autobuild

Thomas C. Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Wed Mar 31 08:05:51 PDT 2010

Hi Claudia,

To carry on from where you are, I would recommend fixing by hand any
things that you can see are incorrect.  If you know that the loops have
been built connecting the wrong chains then I would definitely fix that.
If the sequence has been incorrectly assigned I would fix that too.  Your
hand-fixed model can then be the starting point for another round of
AutoBuild, either with "rebuilding_in_place=False" to try and add more
backbone model, or with "rebuild_in_place=True" to just try to make a
better fit of the model that you have built.

You can then use "phenix.fit_loops" to try and fill in loops that have not
yet been built.

You might also try another approach from the beginning of model-building
by starting with the MR model without trimming to poly-Ala.

You might alternatively try the new Sculptor tools in the current PHENIX
to set up your starting model.

I am guessing that you may have a relatively low-resolution map as you
have chosen to use "helices_strands_only=True".  You might want to follow
a different path and just use "rebuild_in_place=True" from the beginning,
then cut out all the places where the starting model had the wrong
sequence, and then use fit_loops to fill in these places.  The advantage
of this approach is that rebuild_in_place=True keeps your overall model,
only adjusting where the main-chain goes and rebuilding side-chains from
the Richardson rotamer library.  If AutoBuild is doing a poor job at
building your model from scratch then this might be a useful approach.

All the best,
Tom T