[phenixbb] WAS: changing TLS groups mid refinement

Phil Jeffrey pjeffrey at princeton.edu
Mon May 17 09:08:44 PDT 2010

This has been discussed before.  For a start look at French and Wilson
(French G.S. and Wilson K.S. Acta. Cryst. (1978), A34, 517.)

Fobs < 0 is not possible, but Fobs = 0 clearly conveys some information
(i.e. the reflection is weak). Simply deleting the data is the worst
case scenario where you remove any information content on that
reflection during refinement.  I'm surprised that this would even need
further exposition, especially in light of the community tendency to use
higher outer-shell Rsymms (50-60%) where a significant proportion of the
data would be expected to be weak and therefore subject to risk of
arbitrary cutoff by phenix.refine. If I/sigI = 2 (a not uncommon outer
shell criterion) then a decent proportion of the data might have I<0,
and this data is really there and weak and not the imagination of the
processing program.

Does phenix.refine enforce an I<=0 cutoff too ?  It certainly behaves as
if it does.

As it stands the best way to get around this undesirable feature of
phenix.refine is to use CCP4's TRUNCATE program (with "TRUNCATE YES")
which makes much of the weak data small but positive.  You still have to
tell phenix.refine not to use Imean and SigImean (it will use those if
it can find them) and use F instead.

Again, include F=0 data.  F<0 should probably immediately terminate
program execution, since it infers a data content error.

Phil Jeffrey
Princeton