[phenixbb] WAS: changing TLS groups mid refinement

Phil Jeffrey pjeffrey at princeton.edu
Tue May 18 08:01:17 PDT 2010

> You cannot compare the R-factors that were computed using different sets
> of reflections. Therefore the above comparison is not valid, obviously.
> Same applies to your "Longer version". Let's compare apples with apples.

Read the example.  It's the same set of reflections.  In particular I
did that because it's the same set of F's which is not very easy to get
to (phenix.refine's reflection utilities don't let me output F if I do a
<= truncation on intensity).

Specifically:
default behavior of Phenix from the mtz is to take Imean, throw away
anything with Imean < 0 and convert to F.  That mtz file contained F's
out of CCP4's TRUNCATE, but all the data.  phenix.refine throws that
data away internally.

So I have three selection methods:
1.  TRUNCATE F data which I have to force phenix.refine to use via
labels='F,SIGF'
2.  F data that phenix.refine converts from Imean
3.  A subset of #1 reduced by the selection criteria used in #2

So I take a PDB file refined against option #1 and compare to #3.  This
contains all the Free R reflections that #2 has but since TRUNCATE
modifies the F's.  That's about as fair a comparison as I can find: a
PDB file refined against #2 and compared to #2 vs a PDB file refined
against #1 and compared to #3.  The only difference between #1 and #3 is
that #1 contains F's with Imean < 0, altered via TRUNCATE.

> Comparing R-factors in this case does not tell that one refinement is
> better or worse than the other one. It just doesn't tell anything
> because the R-factor is not a good measure when you deal with two
> different datasets (datasets containing different amount of reflections).

This would mean that the whole thing is inherently untestable because of
phenix.refine's rejection criteria - there will always be a difference
in data count because of that.  Propose a better experiment.

Phil