[phenixbb] Autobuild submitted jobs

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Wed May 26 19:48:38 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Mark A Saper <saper at umich.edu> wrote:

> Interestingly, although each node has 8 processors, the OMIT region jobs
> seems to only use one processor!

The individual jobs spawned by AutoBuild are single-processor; the queueing
system may have spread them out over as many nodes as possible, but they
could just as well run on all 8 processors of one node, as long as enough
memory is available.

Interestingly when phenix.refine jobs are run on my Macbook Pro, the
> operating system is savvy enough to spread it over 2 processors.

phenix.refine itself isn't actually using both processors at once, though -
I'm not sure how Python and the OS work internally, but only one Python or
C++ thread is running at a time, and it may switch between processors.
 (I've noticed the same behavior on my Macs.)  If you use the GUI, that will
be running in a separate process, but it doesn't do very much other than
process messages from phenix.refine, plus whatever is required to display
the model and maps (if you watch them in Coot, etc.).

-Nat