[phenixbb] Can we untoggle molecular weight mean deviation check on ensembles in autoMR?

Randy J. Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 3 01:46:55 PDT 2010

By popular demand we (by which I mean Airlie McCoy) have put in a new
option to bypass the molecular weight deviation check. So in a
script-driven Phaser run you could add a command like ENSEMBLE ensemble1
DISABLE CHECK ON. However, there isn't yet an option to disable this in the
GUI.

That might turn out to be a temporary solution. The reason for the
deviation check is that an ensemble is assumed to represent a set of
alternative models for the same component, and if the individual models
cover significantly different parts of the structure, that assumption is
violated. Initially we allowed 10% deviation then increased that to 20% --
it's a relatively arbitrary number chosen conservatively to be on the small
side but nonetheless sufficiently forgiving for the test cases we had at
hand.

When we get a chance, we'll have a look at the consequences of violating
the assumption that the alternative models cover the same part of the
structure and do what seems appropriate based on that -- set an
evidence-based threshold, do away with it altogether or come up with an
improved way of dealing with ensembles.

Regards,

Randy Read