[phenixbb] why are my B factors being "refined"

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Tue Apr 5 23:19:43 PDT 2011

Hi Scott,

yes, I just reproduced it using a fake one-atom model and generated Fobs...

The output B-factors are different because of anisotropic scaling: the
trace of overall scale matrix is subtracted from it and is added to Bsol
and all atomic B-factors. This is described in details in:

http://www.phenix-online.org/newsletter/

see "On atomic displacement..." article.

I agree, strictly speaking you are right: you did not ask phenix.refine
to do anything with atomic B-factors, so they must be the same in input
and output files. I guess I make this sure in most of other case, but I
most likely overlooked rigid-body refinement case (it has its own
bulk-solvent correction and scaling step).

I just made this change, so B-factors will stay the same in your case.
It will be available in a next build (in a day or two).

Pavel.