[phenixbb] Out of Memory Errors

Randy Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 21 01:15:36 PDT 2011

Hi,

The current defaults in Phaser are not kind to memory consumption for large cases.  As it happens, we're working on changing those defaults sensibly so that the memory usage will depend much less on the size of the problem, and hopefully also so it recovers more gracefully when an attempt to allocate memory fails.

In the meantime, you'll have to switch to Phaser-MR to avoid all memory issues, because AutoMR lacks some of the fine control.  The main thing you can do is to reduce the resolution in proportion to the mean radius of the assembly you're looking for.  (In practice this means that the resolution should be proportional to the cube root of the molecular weight -- if you would use 2.5A data for a 30kDa model, then use 5A data for a 240kDa model.  On that basis, even 4A is generous for your 12x48kDa search model.)  This will get you through everything but the final refinement step, where by default Phaser carries out rigid-body refinement against all data.  In the Phaser-MR GUI, there's a box labelled "High resolution for refinement", and you'll have to set that at something less than the full resolution.  Apart from resolution, you can look at our FAQ on memory consumption, which you can find at http://www.phaser.cimr.cam.ac.uk/index.php/FAQ, and that discusses some of the other expert parameters you could set to reduce memory needs.

However, in your case it's not clear to me why you would want to run molecular replacement with a model containing four trimers.  Is the structure really a dodecamer?  If not, then I wouldn't want to assume that the relationship among trimers is conserved from one crystal to another.

Best wishes,

Randy Read