[phenixbb] phenix.grow_density documentation

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Thu Aug 11 11:05:55 PDT 2011

Hi Joern,

- as Sacha mentioned (off-list), phenix.grow_density is inspired by Acta
Cryst. (1997). D53, 540-543 paper.

- sorry for the lack of documentation. This is one of the (10+) (slow)
on-going projects that we still need work on in order to make it more
automated and user-friendly. Here is a PDF file
(http://cci.lbl.gov/~afonine/tmp/grow_density.pdf) that I wrote for
Sacha to explain some parameters of phenix.grow_density. It is very
sketchy and may not be 100% up-to-date, but I hope it helps.

- the error message you get ("Refinement failed... ) is actually a bug -
sorry. I am fixing it right now and the fixed version will be available
in the next nightly build of PHENIX available in a day of two here:
http://www.phenix-online.org/download/nightly_builds.cgi

- I recall, defining several spheres where the DA are going to be placed
is better than defining one large sphere, although it depends on the
region size and shape. For example:
sphere {
   center = 21.698   7.730  33.974
   radius = 5
}
sphere {
   center = 23.483  10.877  35.583
   radius = 5
}

Let me know if you have any questions or need help with this.
Pavel.