[phenixbb] Unexpected Occupancy refiniement for ligands...

Yuri yuri.pompeu at ufl.edu
Sat Aug 13 11:18:36 PDT 2011

Dear Ed and Pavel,
Some background, 1.5A, 0.14/0.16, P 63 2 2.

1- I figured out the occupancy problems. I had to define the ligands as
group occupancy rather than individual atoms...(duh!!...)
It looks better now.

2- Is there any case/resolution when one should try anisotropic
refinement for a ligand? I would think if its covalently attached
maybe...

3- About the waters occupancies/B-factors I definetely see some density
peaks that correspond to waters (good distance and angles for H-bond
interactions with protein backbone on the surface)
Obviously they are weaker than peaks for waters that are ordered near
the active site. I modelled those in and I got some negative peaks in
the mFo-DFc map after isoptropic B refinement. That is what led me
to think I should try occupancy refinement.

4-Still on the same topic B-factors, I am also encountering the same
problem with surface side chains especially (D, E, Q). I am confident
they should be where they are. backbone density looks great.
But no matter where I put their side chains, I get negative peaks in
the diff. map. Their B-factors usually refine to ~55 vs ~25 for ordered
side chains.

Yuri

--
Yuri Pompeu