[phenixbb] Phenix version 1.7-650 and coot

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Mon Jan 31 16:37:14 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Leonid Flaks <flaks at bnl.gov> wrote:
> Hi!
> I just installed phenix version 1.7-650 on fedora 14 64-bit and noticed that
> if I start coot from within phenix interface, most of the icons on the right
> hand side of the coot window are not displayed.
> There is a lot of messages like this:
>
> Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file
> '/usr/share/coot/pixmaps/residue-info.png'

Okay, apparently we missed an important environment variable in the
script that launches Coot from Phenix - several library paths need to
be cleansed to prevent conflicting with the libraries we distribute.
The one we didn't know about (because it never caused problems before)
appears to be XDG_DATA_DIRS.  The crude fix for this is to edit
$PHENIX/phenix/phenix/command_line/start_coot.sh and add this line at
the end of a list of "unset" commands:

unset XDG_DATA_DIRS

It'll be fixed in the next build too.  If this doesn't totally solve
the problem, let me know - I'm going to unset several other paths too,
but those didn't appear to have any effect on our Fedora 14 machine.

-Nat