[phenixbb] Third issue (...) - P.S.

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Fri Jul 29 09:41:56 PDT 2011

Hi Frank,

thanks for prompting me to have another look at this! Yes, a quick
section reiterating the results shown in both figures would be
definitely helpful. Ok, I'm doing it now (better late than never!):

Figure 1 (old version vs new version), going from left to right, top to
bottom:

- the new procedure always produces smaller Rfree-Rwork gap (except two
outliers out of ~110 cases). In a few dozens cases this means going from
Rfree-Rwork ~10-14% down to 8% and less. Which is I believe an improvement.

- Molprobity clashscore gets much lower in all cases, and in many cases
it get down from clashscore>150-200 to less than 50. Again, I take this
as an improvement.

- Ramachandran plot: always less outliers, and in a few dozens cases it
get down from 10-25% to less than 5%. It's good too!

- Always less Rotamer outliers. Not bad.

- <Bij> for bonded atoms gets always smaller. In many cases it goes down
from ridiculously high ~30-50A**2 to less than 20 or so. There are
outliers which, as pointed out in the text, need investigation.

- Rfree difference wise (the last graphic at the bottom), almost all the
differences stay within "equally good range of values", which is defined
in the text. Some bad outliers, are 1) inoptimal NCS groups selection
(which was done automatically using the old procedure, not the new one
that does it in torsion angle space), 2) not using TLS even though this
was used originally, and other issues that needs an investigation. There
are improvements too.

Figure 2 (with weight optimization vs without weight optimization):
going from left to right, top to bottom:

- Rfree-Rfree gets much better in a few dozens of cases, or stays in a
"equally good range of values".

- clashscore either stays the same or gets smaller, which is good. Same
for Ramachandran and Rotamer outliers.

- Except two outliers (out of total ~110 cases), Rfree(opt)-Rfree(no
opt) is consistently smaller, with a number of cases having significant
improvement (over ~2% or so).

Thanks again for your comments, and prompting me to spell out a proper
analysis of the presented pictures.

Pavel.