[phenixbb] changing the project directory

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Wed Mar 16 13:13:40 PDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Charisse Crenshaw <ccrenshaw at salk.edu> wrote:
> I have recently started a project whose folder was located on my
> desktop.  I would like to move that folder off of my desktop as I've
> heard that having a messy desktop slows down one's computer.  I moved
> the project directory somewhere else, and this resulted in Phenix not
> being able to find the project (understandably).  So I moved it back
> to its original location and Phenix could then open the project.  So,
> in an X11 shell, I copied the project folder to the new desired
> location, then changed the output directory in the Phenix main window
> to that new path.  But when I clicked on the project again, the output
> directory that is indicated changes back to the original path.  Now I
> am looking through the preferences etc for a way to change the path of
> the project directory within Phenix and I cannot.  Can anyone tell me
> if this is possible and if so, how do I do it?

It's possible, but not (yet) straightforward.  These steps should do it:

1. Make a copy of the entire project folder in the new location (I
guess you've already done this)
2. Open the main GUI and delete the old project.  This will not wipe
out any data in the old location, but it will delete all of the
project tracking files that Phenix creates.
3. Select "Import project" from the File menu, and select the new copy
- this should restore the project, but with all directory paths
altered.

For now, the parameter files used for past jobs will contain the
original paths, so restoring old jobs will not bring up the full
parameters.  I hope to fix this at some point.  Obviously I need to
add a "relocate project" function too.

I suspect the warning about a messy desktop came from a Windows user -
I've never heard about other OSes having this problem.

-Nat