[phenixbb] refinement for ligands with alternative conformation

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Mon Mar 21 21:35:13 PDT 2011

  Hi,

unless I'm missing something, I think there is no need to use insertion
code... All you need is to:

1) edit your PDB file to add altloc identifiers to individual components,
2) make sure the whole thing has the same residue number and chain id
(example: see residue number 22 here http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/files/1EJG.pdb)
3) either go by the automatic grouping of occupancies (=do nothing, run
phenix.refine), or instruct phenix.refine how it should combine
individual conformers using

occupancies {
   constrained_group {
      selection = ..
   }
}

as described here:
http://phenix-online.org/documentation/refinement.htm#anch20

If still confused, then send me a PDB file with the extract of residues
in question and tell me how they are expected to be grouped and I will
send you back an example.

Pavel.