[phenixbb] rotamers

Antony Oliver antony.oliver at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Mar 24 02:41:55 PDT 2011

I have used both the zero occupancy and removal of side-chain atom options for dealing with side chains with no/little observable density.

Although I can see from the non-crystallogapher end-user perspective that the zero occupancy option is probably preferred, because as at least the side-chain atoms are preserved, and readily identifiable when working in PyMOL, CCP4MG, Coot etc.

However I'm fairly sure though that if you deposit data in the PDB with zero occupancy atoms, the curators remove the atoms anyway and stick them in one of the header comments - true?

Which kind of argues for the removal of the atoms anyway...

Tony.

Sent from my iPhone