[phenixbb] anomalous difference map

Randy J. Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Mar 27 02:40:35 PDT 2011

Since you have a molecular replacement model, the other option you should
try is to ask Phaser to look for the anomalous scatterers with
log-likelihood-gradient maps in the SAD likelihood target. In our
experience, this gives significantly better signal-to-noise on average than
simple model-phased anomalous difference Fouriers.

By default, Phaser will put in anomalous scatterers where there are peaks
above 6 times the rms of the log-likelihood-gradient map, and it does this
iteratively, i.e. putting the anomalous scatterers into the model makes the
model and makes the log-likelihood-gradient map more sensitive, so it
carries on doing rounds of this until there are no more peaks to interpret
as anomalous scatterers. At the end, you'll have a flat
log-likelihood-gradient map but you'll also have a list of sites that were
all 6sigma in at least one of the maps. As a bonus, you'll also have phases
and a map that combine the information from your molecular replacement
model and the anomalous scattering.

You can do this either through AutoSol (if you did the molecular
replacement with AutoMR you will have been given the option to press a
button to run AutoSol, which is convenient) or directly through Phaser-EP.
In each case you have to give a PDB file identified as a partial molecular
replacement solution.

Let me know if you have any difficulty finding the right options.

Best wishes,

Randy Read