[phenixbb] Problem with version 1.7.1-743 on OSX

Miguel Ortiz Lombardía miguel.ortiz-lombardia at afmb.univ-mrs.fr
Tue May 3 01:11:54 PDT 2011

Le 02/05/11 20:03, Nathaniel Echols a écrit :
> 2011/5/2 Miguel Ortiz Lombardía <miguel.ortiz-lombardia at afmb.univ-mrs.fr>:
>> 1/ the same pdb and mtz files work perfectly in the same Mac computer
>> providede I run phenix.refine from the command line
>> 2/ they also work fine if I run phenix.refine in a linux computer (in
>> this case they work from both GUI and command line)
>> 3/ Any file downloaded from the PDB gives the same negative result
>>
>> So, it is clearly a GUI problem on the Macs, which is not the same than
>> saying that the problem is *in* the Phenix GUI: it could be yet another
>> side-effect of an Apple software update...
>
> It turned out to be a side effect of using the newer version of
> wxPython in the 64-bit Mac builds.  The problem is with the French
> language setting on your computer, which change some of the formatting
> conventions (including, I suspect, using ',' instead of '.' for
> decimal numbers).  I was able to reproduce this on a test system, but
> only with the 64-bit installer - the 32-bit version works fine,
> presumably because it is using an earlier release of wxPython.  (This
> also explains why the GUI in the Linux build on your systems works
> okay.)
>
> The launchers force the language setting to be the same as far as the
> command-line code is concerned, but I can only assume that wxPython
> now overrides this, on Mac at least.  The solution to this,
> fortunately, is very simple - I just need to set the language
> localization again when the GUI starts.  The next nightly build will
> have the fix, but if you want to patch 1.7.1, I've attached the file
> you need.  Use this command:
>
> patch $PHENIX/phenix/wxGUI2/App.py App.patch
>
> Thanks for catching this.  I'm assuming the MTZ file issue has the
> same cause, but if the problem doesn't completely go away after
> patching or updating, please let us know.  (Oh, and I suspect REEL
> will have the same problem if started from the command line rather
> than the main GUI - I'll fix that next.)
>
> -Nat

Thank you, Nat.

This appears to have been the problem since your patch fixes it. It is
also consistent with the fact that I set these variables in the general
bashrc file:

# To avoid decimal separator problems
#
export LC_NUMERIC=C

# To get files sorted by date in Coot
#
export LC_MESSAGES=C

that explain why the jobs could run properly from the command line.

Best regards,

--
Miguel

Architecture et Fonction des Macromolécules Biologiques (UMR6098)
CNRS, Universités d'Aix-Marseille I & II
Case 932, 163 Avenue de Luminy, 13288 Marseille cedex 9, France
Tel: +33(0) 491 82 55 93
Fax: +33(0) 491 26 67 20
mailto:miguel.ortiz-lombardia at afmb.univ-mrs.fr
http://www.afmb.univ-mrs.fr/Miguel-Ortiz-Lombardia