[phenixbb] Equations of transformation

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Wed May 25 23:19:34 PDT 2011

Hi,

we discussed this recently on phenixbb. Here is the copy:

phenix.pdbtools model.pdb rotate_about_axis.axis="chain A and resseq
1:123 and (name CA or name CB)" rotate_about_axis.atom_selection="chain
A and resseq 1" rotate_about_axis.angle=35

where

rotate_about_axis.axis defines the rotation axis (must be two points in
space);
rotate_about_axis.atom_selection defines the atoms that will be rotated
about the axis;
rotate_about_axis.angle defines rotation angle in degrees.

Instead of specifying atom selection string in rotate_about_axis.axis,
you can give it coordinates of two points:

phenix.pdbtools model.pdb rotate_about_axis.axis="1.234 2.345 4.567
-2.321 3.765 0.001" rotate_about_axis.atom_selection="chain A and resseq
1:123" rotate_about_axis.angle=35

If interested in the math details - see the code in phenix.pdbtools that
does it.

Pavel.