[phenixbb] Scattering from riding hydrogens?

Tim Fenn tim.fenn at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 17:25:14 PST 2011

Sorry I'm chiming in a bit late here, but I think its worthwhile to point
out that hydrogen atoms are highly influenced by (and affect!) prior
chemical forces - primarily electrostatics/polarization and van der Waals.
 Given the difficulty in refining hydrogen atoms against the scattering
data alone, I would argue a rigorous model for electrostatics/vdw terms in
the prior is essential.  This also makes it a moot point of having to
decide how to refine hydrogen atoms and dealing with tricky cases (like
rotatable degrees of freedom or water molecules).  There is technology
available to do this already and some publications on its importance in the
refinement process, for those that are interested.

Regards,
Tim