[phenixbb] Mn - O distances

Nigel Moriarty nwmoriarty at lbl.gov
Wed Nov 23 08:32:31 PST 2011

Tim

I did a survey of the literature some time ago and used Harding, Acta
Cryst. D62 (2006), 678-682 for the data used in
phenix.metal_coordination. I recently added the data from Zheng et al.
Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry 102 (2008) 1765-1776 and plan to
include it soon.

You are quite correct that the coordination number affects the bond
length. This is currently ignored in PHENIX but it may well be useful.
I'll read Shannon and Prewitt with a view to improving the
coordination code.

One thing you can do is add the slack option to the edits giving the
bond potential a flat bottom. This allow complete freedom for the
metal to use the electron density for fitting within the slack
distance of the ideal.

refinement.geometry_restraints.edits {
   bond {
        action = *add
        atom_selection_1 = chain F and resid 1 and name FE1
        atom_selection_2 = chain A and resid 69 and name SG
        distance_ideal = 2.35
        sigma = 0.1
        slack = 0.1
   }
}

I'm very interested in discussing your situation and making it better.
If you send me your model (off line) we can investigate a better
solution.

Nigel

NB. Any files sent to me will be held in strictest confidence.