[phenixbb] Molecule and maps will not load into coot from Phenix 1.7.1-743

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Thu Oct 27 10:37:48 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Jobichen Chacko <jobichenc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I upgraded to coot 0.6.2. But still the problem is not rectified.
> Any suggestions.

Okay, after seeing the console output, the problem is here:

(use-graphics-interface-state)
DEBUG:: stating pydirectory /usr/local/share/coot/python
INFO:: importing coot.py from /usr/local/share/coot/python/coot.py
Importing python module coot using command from coot import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
 File "/usr/local/share/coot/python/coot.py", line 8, in <module>
   import new
ImportError: No module named new
ERROR:: could not import coot.py

If you're seeing ImportError anywhere, this almost always means that
the Python module paths are not set correctly.  Fixing this is beyond
the scope of PHENIX, and I've never been able to figure out why some
Coot builds have this problem; you probably need to try a different
binary package.  (Where did you download it from?)

-Nat