[phenixbb] Linux kernel version 3.0 detection

Ben Eisenbraun bene at hkl.hms.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 14 11:56:24 PDT 2011

Hi,

Robert Campbell at Queens pointed out to me that the "machine_type" script
bundled with PHENIX doesn't understand the new version 3.0 linux kernel
strings.

He tweaked his local copy for testing purposes on a Debian testing
machine, and just forcing the 3.0 version to use the 2.6 binaries worked:

 case "$KERNEL" in
  2.4.*)
    kernel_version=2.4 ;;
  2.6.*)
    kernel_version=2.6 ;;
  3.0.*)
    kernel_version=2.6 ;;
  *)
    kernel_version="$KERNEL" ;;
  esac

I haven't tested it myself. It looks like Fedora 16 and Ubuntu 11.10, both
targeted for November releases, will be using the new 3.0 kernel.

-ben

--
| SBGrid Consortium                          | http://sbgrid.org       |
| Harvard Medical School                     | http://hms.harvard.edu  |