[phenixbb] modelling a flexible peptide

Randy Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 4 00:34:42 PDT 2012

Hi,

Assuming that the smaller protein is in the same conformation in all 6 copies, 6-fold averaging should be very powerful.  If you already have a polyAla trace then the averaging will have a good mask to work from.  Even at 3A, maps with nearly perfect phases show a lot of detail (cf. maps from virus structures after averaging).

Averaging will work best if the 6 copies are in different orientations.  It won't work as well if the copies are related by pure translations (indicated by big non-origin peaks in the native Patterson map) or if the crystal is close to possessing some higher symmetry.

Best wishes,

Randy Read