[phenixbb] on the protonation state of HIS

Jeff Headd jjheadd at lbl.gov
Fri Apr 6 07:06:16 PDT 2012

Hi Dialing,

Determining the protonation state of a HIS residue based on the diffraction
data would require very high resolution data (below 1.0A), if that is
possible at all.

However, it is possible to determine the protonation state of HIS residues
based on the local hydrogen-bonding network for a model at any resolution,
assuming it is well built. The program Reduce, which is the program used in
Phenix to add hydrogens to a model, does this automatically. Reduce looks
at the local hydrogen-bonding network created by neighboring residues and
other capable groups (waters, ligands, etc.) and then optimizes the HIS
orientation and protonation state. The three possibilities are delta
protonated (HD2), epsilon protonated (HE2), or both (HD2 and HE2).

You can read more about Reduce here:

http://kinemage.biochem.duke.edu/software/reduce.php

Jeff