[phenixbb] getting started with anisotropic refinement

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Wed Apr 18 17:37:57 PDT 2012

Hi Mark,

> I need some help advice regarding anisotropic refinement, which I've
> never done before. My current Rfactors are R-work = 0.1587, R-free =
> 0.1726, resolution 1.26 Å.

two things I would do right away without thinking long:

- add H atoms;
- refine all macromolecular atoms with anisotropic ADPs (probably,
except alternative conformations), and solvent with isotropic ADPs;

Also, please make sure to use recent Phenix version. That may have
impact in your case, since latest phenix.refine have improved handling
of hydrogen atoms (*), and a new bulk-solvent and anisotropic scaling
procedure (**).

If you still want to define by hand which atoms to refine
isotropically/anisotropically, then a parameter file like this should
allow to do this:

refinement {
   refine {
     adp {
       individual {
         isotropic = (chain A and resseq 1:100) or (chain X and resseq
300:900) or water
         anisotropic = (chain Z and resseq 123 and name CG1) or (element Au)
       }
     }
   }
}

Make sure you cover all atoms with

isotropic = ...
anisotropic = ...

selections, because the default behavior is that if you change these
parameters then phenix.refine assumes you know what you do. If you do
not select all atoms with these selections, then B-factors of atoms that
are not selected will not be refined. I don't like this and I will
change this once I get a chance.

For your specific example:

refinement {
   refine {
     adp {
       individual {
         isotropic = not (chain A and (resseq 7:44 or resseq 61:149 or
resseq 173:182 or resseq 202:254 or resseq 263:290))
         anisotropic = chain A and (resseq 7:44 or resseq 61:149 or
resseq 173:182 or resseq 202:254 or resseq 263:290)
       }
     }
   }
}

I've never tried but this might work too:

refinement {
   refine {
     adp {
       individual {
         aniso_sel = chain A and (resseq 7:44 or resseq 61:149 or resseq
173:182 or resseq 202:254 or resseq 263:290)
         isotropic = not $aniso_sel
         anisotropic = $aniso_sel
       }
     }
   }
}

Phil experts may comment on this more.

Let me know if you have any questions or need any help with this!

Good luck,
Pavel

(*) "On contribution of hydrogen atoms to X-ray scattering"
http://www.phenix-online.org/newsletter/

(**)
http://www.phenix-online.org/presentations/PhenixSantaFe2012_PA.pdf