[phenixbb] Estimation of ligand binding affinity by occupancy refinement

Zoran Stefanic zoran.stefanic at irb.hr
Fri Apr 27 06:41:00 PDT 2012

Dear all,

I have a question about sensitivity of occupancy refinement in phenix. I
have a series of datasets done at our home instrument of relatively
modest resolutions from 2.8 to 3 A. These are performed on crystals
soaked in progressively higher ligand concentrations. We are trying to
see to which of the several active sites the ligand binds first so we
went from low to high ligand concentrations. We wanted to estimate the
amount of ligand bound by refining the occupancies of the ligand. We
expect one active site to bind more strongly than the other two active
sites. This was indeed what we observed but when we refine the
occupancies of the ligands in weaker binding sites starting at 0.2
occupancies they rise to 0.5-0.6 although some atoms are totally out of
density and some are in. B factors are reasonable, i.e. don't go wild.

My question would be: how reliable is this estimation of ligand binding
by occupancy refinement? Why doesn't the occupancy of ligands stay low
if afterwards the density fit of the ligand looks rather unconvincing?

Thank you in advance
Zoran

--
Dr. Zoran Stefanic