[phenixbb] Geometry Restraints - Anisotropic truncation

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Mon Apr 30 13:39:26 PDT 2012

Hi,

we discussed this with Randy the other day.. A couple of copy-pasts from
that discussion:

In general, given highly anisotropic data set:

1) maps calculated using all (unmodified) data by phenix.refine,
phenix.maps and similar tools are better than maps calculated using
anisotropy truncated data. So, yes, for the purpose of map calculation
there is no need to do anything: Phenix map calculation tools deal with
anisotropy very well.

2) phenix.refine refinement may fail if one uses original anisotropic
data set. This is probably because the ML target does not use
experimental sigmas (and anisotropy correction by UCLA server is nothing
but Miller index dependent removing the data by sigma criterion - yeah,
that old well criticized practice of throwing away the data that you
worked hard to measure!). May be using sigmas in ML calculation could
solve the problem but that has to be proved.

Nat: I added the code that does anisotropy truncation a wile ago (see in
miller class - there are a couple of methods that do it) but this is not
exposed to the user level.

Pavel