[phenixbb] Similar 2Fo-Fc maps, very different e/A^3 levels (absolute levels)

Dale Tronrud det102 at uoxray.uoregon.edu
Mon Dec 3 10:13:51 PST 2012

   I'm not an expert on twining, but I think you should first decide if
your crystal is twinned, then use the map that is calculated based on
that determination.  How the map "looks" is not a very rigorous basis
for making a decision about anything, unless you have no bulk solvent
regions or your helices "look" left-handed.  The fact that your free R
does not drop when you refine assuming twining does not encourage me.

   The electron density values you quote seem low to me as well
(referring to Edward Berry's letter).  The expected rms value of a map
will depend on resolution.  The rms of the map is directly related to
the rms of its Fourier coefficients, so when the coefficients get
weaker the rms of the map will drop.  I'm used to an rms of about
0.36 e/A^3 for a 1.5 A resolution map.  For the rms to drop to
0.08 e/A^3 you would have to be at quite a low resolution, but you
have not informed us of that.

   I suspect that the detwining calculation in Map #1 is not being
correctly normalized.  If so, the map will appear identical to the
correctly normalized map, but only after the contour level has been
adjusted.  Since this sort of error does not affect most peoples'
use of the map this is probably not debugged carefully.  The last
time I checked, Coot's ncs averaged maps have very odd numbers for
their absolute density values.  Again, since a spin of the mouse
wheel will make the map look as expected no one seems to care enough
to figure out the problem.

Dale Tronrud