[phenixbb] Similar 2Fo-Fc maps, very different e/A^3 levels (absolute levels)

Dale Tronrud det102 at uoxray.uoregon.edu
Mon Dec 3 11:33:13 PST 2012

On 12/03/12 10:38, Sam Stampfer wrote:
> Thanks so much for the replies! The structure is being refined at 2.74 A
> resolution, but I may need to raise the cutoff to 2.9 or so. The crystal
> was anisotropic.

   I would not be surprised to see that the 1 rms level of a 3 A
resolution map would be at 0.08 e/A^3.  You can't really represent the
"peaky" center of atoms with only low resolution Fourier coefficients.

> How would I go about properly normalizing the detwinning calculation, if
> that were the problem?

   If your crystal is not twinned then this is not a problem for you.

   If there is a normalization problem with the detwining code it is up
to the authors to figure it out.  There is little you can do.  However,
since I don't expect the variation of a detwinned map to  differ
much from the untwinned map it appears that you could just multiply
your detwinned map by 20 to make it roughly the level of your map #2.

Dale Tronrud