[phenixbb] SA Fo-Fc omit map

Terwilliger, Thomas C terwilliger at lanl.gov
Tue Dec 11 19:03:20 PST 2012

Hi Mengbin,

If you set your ligand occupancies to 0 or delete their coordinates, then you don't actually need to make an "omit" map because you've already omitted your ligand.  So you can just run simulated annealing on that model, and your map is a SA-omit map.

I can imagine that it may be difficult to require your ions to stay where you want them during the SA process.  Unless they are right next to your ligand, normally I would not expect this to affect very much however.

If after this process your protein density is very strong and there is no density for the ligand, then it would normally be a good idea to back up to the point where you put the ligand in to the model. You might have a close look at the map created just before you ever had the ligand there and ask whether the density is strong. If yes, then you could try to figure out the difference between that map and the one you just made. If no, then perhaps the ligand is not really present.

I hope that helps!

All the best,
Tom T