[phenixbb] occupancy group definition

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Mon Jun 25 13:32:14 PDT 2012

Hi Christian,

if you don't specify any selections for occupancy refinement manually it
will be done automatically just right.

If you still want to do it manually, then the correct selection would be
(which is equivalently to what phenix.refine does automatically in this
case)

refinement {
   refine {
     occupancies {
       constrained_group {
         selection = chain A and resseq 130 and altloc A
         selection = (chain A and resname PMS and altloc B) or (chain A
and resseq 130 and altloc B)
       }
     }
   }
}

In plain English the above selections translate as:

- there will be one refinable occupancy for alternative conformer A of
residue 130 in chain A; AND
- there will be one refinable occupancy for alternative conformer B of
residue 130 in chain A, and residue PMS (*);
- the sum of the two refinable occupancies above will add up to 1.

(*) Since it is unique (there is no other instances of PMS in your PDB
file), there is no need to specify chain id and altloc for it, so this
would work too:

refinement {
   refine {
     occupancies {
       constrained_group {
         selection = chain A and resseq 130 and altloc A
         selection = resname PMS or (chain A and resseq 130 and altloc B)
       }
     }
   }
}

Let me know if you have any questions or need more help with this!

Pavel