[phenixbb] Geometry Restraints - Anisotropic truncation

Leonid Sazanov sazanov at mrc-mbu.cam.ac.uk
Wed May 2 08:25:02 PDT 2012

>>> 1) maps calculated using all (unmodified) data by phenix.refine,
>>> phenix.maps and similar tools are better than maps calculated using
>>> anisotropy truncated data. So, yes, for the purpose of map
>>> calculation there is no need to do anything: Phenix map calculation
>>> tools deal with anisotropy very well.
>>
>> That is not our experience in cases of really severe anisotropy.
>
> Can you send me an example off-list, please (need model and data files
> (before and after truncation)).

The improvement after truncation is consistent over many different
datasets, but the effects are sometimes subtle, so I will have to look
for a clear-cut example when I have time.
Truncation also helps a lot for density modification.
Don't think I ever seen maps getting worse after truncation (although we
usually use a bit more generous limits than UCLA server suggests).

>>> 2) phenix.refine refinement may fail if one uses original
>>> anisotropic data set. This is probably because the ML target does
>>> not use experimental sigmas (and anisotropy correction by UCLA
>>> server is nothing but Miller index dependent removing the data by
>>> sigma criterion - yeah, that old well criticized practice of
>>> throwing away the data that you worked hard to measure!). May be
>>> using sigmas in ML calculation could solve the problem but that has
>>> to be proved.
>>
>> UCLA server removes all the data beyond set ellipsoid, it does not
>> deal with individual reflections by sigma.
>
> Yes, it's not done per reflection, but indirectly as part of
> determination of the parameters of that ellipsoid that is then used to
> cut the data (as far as I understand it).
>
>> Also one can set its own resolution limits on UCLA server, depending
>> on personally preferred criteria.
>
> May be it's just fine (given the current state-of-the-art of methods
> used in refinement) if it's done carefully and thoughtfully. The trend
> though seem to be to blindly use it "just in case it gives me a lower
> R", which I find dangerous (and yes, it is wrong to compare R-factors
> calculated using different amount of data!).
>
> Pavel

Of course the main criterion for using truncation is improved (or not)
appearance of maps and ability to continue building/refining into those
maps.
R factors do not drop that much due to truncation per se.

Leonid