[phenixbb] redundancy of merged multiple datasets

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Mon May 7 14:58:22 PDT 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 2:49 PM, CPMAS Chen <cpmasmit at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have merged multiple datasets obtained from the same crystals, different
> spots of course, it certainly increases the signal/noise ratio and makes the
> resolution go higher a little bitter. But, the con is, the redundancy is
> increased to ~20 after I merged 6 datasets. Whereas the individual dataset
> has the redundancy around 3~5. Is this acceptable?

Higher redundancy is considered better, not worse.  The alternative
label "multiplicity" is less perjorative, and arguably more accurate.
A multiplicity of 20 is unusually high, but there's nothing wrong with
that, especially if it improves the quality of the data.  (I think it
tends to lead to an increase in R-merge, but this by itself isn't
necessarily bad.)

-Nat