[phenixbb] OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Jon Agirre jon.agirre at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 06:15:53 PDT 2012

Sorry for bringing up such an old thread, but I've finally discovered what
causes the flickering in OS X 10.8. It looks like XQuartz.app misbehaves
with stereo hardware. I've been able to reproduce the problem in OS X 10.6
and XQuartz.app, launching pymol with stereo enabled in an iMac with Nvidia
hardware.

In OS X 10.8, you're stuck with XQuartz.app, but to avoid the problem while
using the discrete graphics chip, simply launch your software without
stereo support. In the case of pymol, I've defined an alias for it (alias
pymol="pymol -M") in ~/.bash_profile

Jon

2012/8/3 Alexander Batyuk <batyuk at bioc.uzh.ch>

> Thanks! I'm using 2010 Macbook Air (with Snow Leopard) and it has discrete
> GPU Nvidia 320M. I'll report if there are any troubles after update.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Alex
>

> On 3 Aug 2012, at 13:30, Jon Agirre wrote:
>
> > Yes. You only need to install XQuartz.app for Coot to run, but
> everything else works right out of the box. Apple decided not to ship
> X11.app with Mac OS X anymore.
> >
> > If you happen to use one of the latest Macbooks, as it is my case, you
> might experience weird graphical artifacts when using the discrete graphics
> processor (GeForce 650M) with XQuartz. Just switch to the integrated
> graphics until Nvidia fixes the issue.
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Jon
> >
> > 2012/8/3 Alexander Batyuk <batyuk at bioc.uzh.ch>
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Could anybody confirm that Phenix does or does not run on OS X 10.8
> Mountain Lion, please?
> >
> > Best wishes,
> >
> > Alex
> >

> > --