[phenixbb] problem installing Phenix 1.8.1 on Fedora16

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Mon Oct 22 06:50:04 PDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Marianna Biadene
<marianna.biadene at i-med.ac.at> wrote:
>  I am trying to install Phenix 1.8.1-1168 on my Linux 64bit, Fedora 16.
> If I try to install it in the default directory (/usr/local) I have no
> problem, but when I try to install it in /usr/local/bin using the command
> written in the documentation
> (http://www.phenix-online.org/documentation/install.htm)
> ./install --prefix=</usr/local/bin>

Sorry, the text in the installation instructions isn't meant to be
interpreted literally!  The <> characters indicate that you need to
interpolate the actual variable in that place - this is common usage
in technical documentation (i.e. directed at programmers and system
administrators) but probably nowhere else.  So you need to type this
instead:

./install --prefix=/usr/local/bin

except I probably wouldn't put it there - the "bin" directory is
really intended for executable programs only, not the massive mess of
libraries and data that come with Phenix.  (It will still run though.)

I will see if I can clarify the documentation.

-Nat