[phenixbb] hydrogen nomenclature

Jeff Headd jjheadd at lbl.gov
Tue Oct 23 09:25:42 PDT 2012

Hi Pat,

You are right that hydrogen nomenclature can be a real problem. While the
monomer library does use the older naming convention, internally Phenix is
compatible with both. Further, the program Reduce that we use to add
hydrogens to protein and RNA/DNA uses the current RCSB standard (HB2/HB3 in
your example), so you would be best served in constructing your custom .cif
definition to match the RCSB nomenclature. This should work fine in
refinement, and will simplify your submission process with the PDB.

If you run into any trouble with this, please let me know, I am happy to
help.

Jeff