[phenixbb] MR-Rosetta server?

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Tue Apr 2 14:42:12 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Mark J van Raaij
<mjvanraaij at cnb.csic.es> wrote:
> - is it feasible to install Rosetta under MacOSX for a not very computer-literate user?

Yes, but if you've never had to install software from source before it
may be a little intimidating.  (Not sure if they plan to release
binary builds at any point - will check on this.)

> - Phenix seems to slow down my MacPro a lot, even if I use just one of the 8 processors - is 4 Gb of RAM too little?

In general it is wise to have at least 1 GB per core, and preferably
2+ GB.  The slowdown is probably due to other applications swapping to
disk to make room for Phenix; adding memory will definitely help with
this.  The amount you actually need depends on what kind of structures
you're working on - but keep in mind that other apps such as web
browsers are also memory hogs.  (Watching YouTube while refining
structures on the same computer is probably not going to work very
well with only 4GB.)

-Nat