[phenixbb] clashscore discrepancies

Alex Theodossis alex.theodossis at monash.edu
Wed Apr 24 20:38:16 PDT 2013

Dear phenixbb,

Have refined a 1.05A structure with riding hydrogen model in phenix
v1.8.1-1168 and doing final validation.

The molprobity statistics output by phenix include:
all atom clashscore = 4.12
Rotamer outliers = 0.71%
Overall score = 1.2

Put through the molprobity server I am given the option of analysing with
existing hydrogen model, or replacing with the 'electron-cloud parameters'
they recommend for X-ray crystal structures. The results end up being very
different:

                                         existing H model:
   electron-cloud model:
All atom clash score:            4.66 (78th percentile)             3.72
(85th percentile)
Poor rotamers:                      1.14%
 1.14%
Overall score:                        1.28 (88th percentile)
 1.20 (92nd percentile)

While all three scenarios give acceptable statistics, I am surprised by the
inconsistency in the results given by molprobity, even when using the same
hydrogen model.
I am also wondering whether I am using a suboptimal riding model in my
refinement (generated using phenix ready-set).

Can anyone advise on the reason for these inconsistencies (is it just due
to differences in the version of molprobity being run in each case). Is
there anything I should be doing differently?

Thanks in advance.